- Best Small Personal Air Conditioners
- IQAir Atem Personal Desk Purifier
- Ambi Climate 2 Smart Air Conditioner Controller
- Fridigdaire Connect Smart Portable Conditioner
- LEVOIT Humidifier
- Best Cheap Portable Air Conditioners
- HoMedics MyChill Personal Space Cooler
- Ontel Arctic Personal Air Cooler
- Evapolar Portable Air Conditioner
- BUYING GUIDE & FAQ'S
Do you feel like you’re always struggling with wheezing, streaming eyes and a runny nose? If so, you’re probably one of the many people who suffers from allergies. If you thought that indoor air quality was going to be better than that outdoors, you should think again.
In fact, the air inside our homes and workspaces is often full of pollutants and contaminants that can cause and exacerbate a whole host of health problems. Dust, pet dander, mold spores and smoke in the air can all combine to make everyday life a misery. Let’s add to that the additional misery of sweating in the office or in your bedroom during a hot summer. If you don’t have central air conditioning, it’s no wonder that you’re feeling hot under the collar. Luckily, there’s a really convenient solution – a personal air conditioner.
A small air conditioner is the perfect way to stop allergies in their tracks at home or at work. Designed to offer just enough air cleaning for one, the smallest portable air conditioner won’t take up too much room on your desk or in your bedroom, but it will keep you comfortable all day and all night, protecting you from the inconvenience of allergic reactions. Air conditioners will also cool down the air around it, helping you to stay cool as a cucumber no matter how high the mercury goes. A personal AC unit is designed to fit conveniently into even compact spaces, but will still work so efficiently that you’ll be able to breathe more easily – no sweat!
Investing in personal ac can make your life a breeze, but it can be difficult to choose the right unit for you. How can you tell which mini air conditioner is worth the money and which one will still leave you sweating? The good news is that we’ve done all the hard work for you to locate the best Small Personal Air Conditioners you can buy today in 2020. We’ve tried and tested the top-selling portable AC units on the market today and reviewed them to help you avoid making an expensive mistake.
Best Small Personal Air Conditioners
The top rated portable air conditioner has super-small dimensions, making it a brilliant choice for next to the bed or on your desk in the office. It’s even small enough to pop into your carry-on luggage, so you can take it anywhere you need to travel without any problems.
The HyperHEPA filters are exclusive to the IQAir brand, and are rated to stop even the smallest particles in the air (as small as 0.003 microns). These tiny parties are 10 times smaller than even a virus, so you’ll really feel the difference in your breathing when you have this handy gadget in your home or workplace. The HyperHEPA filtration is capable of delivering up to 99% purifier air into your own personal breathing space, so allergies will be a thing of the past.
Even more impressive, the IQAir mini AC unit has a fantastically innovative user interface. It’s very sophisticated yet easy to use, putting the user in complete control of their breathing environment. The integrated sensors are touch-sensitive, so you can easily turn this gadget on and off or change the fan speed in an instant.
Even better, this gadget works instantly, delivering clean air directly to you from the moment it’s switched on. It works seamlessly with the Atem downloadable app which allows you to remotely switch the mini AC on or off, change the fan setting and even to activate the proximity sensor which switches the unit off whenever you walk away, helping you to save energy.
- Downloadable app for easy remote control
- Touch sensitive sensors
- Energy saving model
- Filters out even the tiniest particles in the air
- Small enough to fit onto a small desk or bedside table
- This unit doesn’t have a gas filter and can’t remove VOCs
- Warranty 2 Years
- Weight 8.65lbs
- Dimensions 11.5 x 3.1 x 11.5 inches
- Voltage 100-240v
The Ambi Climate 2 Smart Air Conditioner Controller is precisely that – a controller rather than an air conditioner in its own right. However it’s one of the best ways to conserve energy when operating a small portable air conditioner. Featuring an impressive artificial intelligence engine, unlimited timers and smart modes, there’s no better way to create a more personalized and comfortable living environment.
Perhaps the best feature of the Ambi Climate 2 is that it can be voice activated. You’ll never have to get out of your comfy chair to adjust your AC ever again! Fully integrated with either Google Home or Amazon Alexa, you can simply instruct your portable air cooler from wherever you happen to be. Even better, if you’re away from home for a few days, you can use IFTTT and Geolocation so you’ll never come back to an overheated or freezing cold house!
This portable air conditioning unit comes protected by a two-year manufacturer’s warranty and can be used with the downloadable Ambi app so your home can be kept at the right temperature through your smartphone or tablet device. Thanks to the AI engine, you can return feedback on your personal comfort level and your device will begin to auto-adjust your AC to suit your preferences.
There are four different modes to select from to obtain customized comfort so whether you want to minimize your energy costs or control your AC yourself by setting your favorite temperature this handy gadget is the ideal solution.
- Downloadable app
- Four different modes
- Energy saving options
- Learns your preferences and auto-adjusts
- 2 year warranty
- Completing the setup process is quite complex
- Warranty 2 years
- Weight 1.5lbs
- Dimensions 7.2 x 7 x 1.8 inches
- Voltage 240v
If you’re looking for a really convenient small portable AC unit for your home or office, this Frigidaire model is ideal. With its Wi-Fi ready functionality, this connected portable a/c unit is compatible with the downloadable Frigidaire smart app to operate the device remotely. It may not be the smallest air conditioner, but it’s a highly effective one.
The 12,000 BTUs ensure that cooling is possible in any room measuring up to 550 square feet, and this small AC unit is capable of delivering dehumidification up to three pints per hour. The 360 degree air flow ensures that the cool air is circulated in a continuous upward spiral to it’ll reach all four corners of the space more rapidly.
This 12v air conditioner offers three different cooling speeds, three different fan speeds and a 24 hour on/off timer so you can customize your temperature to suit your preferences. Meanwhile, the auto cool function, energy saving mode and sleep mode give you even more cooling flexibility.
It’s also a pretty cool unit to look at. With its mesh grill, sleek shape and LED lighting adding plenty of contemporary style, this attractive unit works well in all kinds of rooms.
- Connects to the Frigidaire app for remote control
- 12,000 BTUs
- 360 degree airflow for better cooling
- Attractive contemporary style
- 3 cooling speeds and a timer
- Heavy unit
- Warranty 1 year
- Weight 8.5lbs
- Dimensions 12.6 x 12.6 x 36.8 inches
- Voltage 110v
This humidifier boasts both warm and cool mist functions to offer a host of health benefits to the user. While the warm mist deters harmful bacteria growth and guards against mold and dust mites, the cool mist helps to hydrate the skin, sinuses and nasal passages in dry, hot weather. The super high mist output operates at 450ml per hour and this means that dry air can be moisturized even more rapidly. Meanwhile, the 360 degree nozzles are fully adjustable to disperse the mist evenly in all directions.
The integrated Relative Humidity Indicator and the Ambient Temperature Indicator on the unit’s display allows you to easily keep track of your surroundings. The Auto mode enables the device to manage its own mist output to suit the surrounding temperature.
The water tank capacity is 1.45 gallons and this is big enough to allow for as much as 36 hours of continuous use when using Level 1. This makes this device suitable to cover an office, living room or bedroom with ease.
There are five different mist settings to choose from, and the timer allows programming for up to 12 hours thanks to a touch sensitive panel. There’s also an inclusive remote control to operate the device conveniently.
When you’re using this device in your bedroom, you’ll want it to be as quiet as possible, and the whisper-quiet ultrasonic air diffusion means that you won’t be disturbed while you sleep. There’s even an aroma diffuser which allows you to turn the unit into an aromatherapy device. Simple to clean and use, this efficient and reliable unit comes complete with a one year warranty and its own cleaning brush for easy maintenance.
- Multifunctional device – can be used for aromatherapy
- Easy to clean and use
- 1 year warranty
- 5 mist settings
- Produces both warm and cold mist
- Automatic mode for complete convenience
- Can’t adjust mist level in auto mode
- Warranty 1 year
- Weight 7.2lbs
- Dimensions 11 x 7.7 x 12.6 inches
- Voltage 110v
Best Cheap Portable Air Conditioners
Capable of cooling a radius of 4 feet, this portable unit can cool the space up to 12 degrees Fahrenheit. With its two different fan speeds, this model works most effectively in dry, hot conditions, and thanks to its energy saving functionality, it could even reduce your bills. This is an environmentally friendly unit which doesn’t use any ozone-depleting refrigerants.
It also features an indicator light to tell you when the cooling media needs replacing and when the water needs to be refilled. The clean tank technology works to keep the tank protected from mildew and mold growth, so your office or bedroom can be cool and comfortable. Very simple to use, this unit offers a four hour run time, and although it isn’t designed for cooling whole rooms, it’s great for small personal spaces.
- Ideal for cooling small spaces
- Energy saving functionality for lower bills
- Indicator lights for water and cooling media replacement
- Clean tank technology to protect from mold and mildew
- User-friendly functionality
- Doesn’t turn off automatically after the water runs out
- Warranty 1 year
- Weight 2.2lbs
- Dimensions 7.7 x 7 x 7.9 inches
- Voltage 120v
Do you need a personal space cooler for a more comfortable bedroom or office? This small yet perfectly formed unit is ideal for cooling the area immediately surrounding the user. Humidifying, purifying and cooling the air, it ensures a healthier indoor environment while its easy to fill water tank can last as long as eight hours. Free of Freon, it is eco-friendly and energy efficient so you can do your bit for the environment while lowering your energy bills.
Although this model is very compact, it’s surprisingly powerful and its inbuilt LED mood light with 7 colors can help to relax you while you unwind. This evaporative model can be simply plugged into either your USB port or regular wall outlet and thanks to its sleek, compact design, it will fit easily into small spaces. It’s even lightweight enough to take anywhere while you’re traveling and it can even be used outdoors on hot days!
- Lightweight, compact design for easy transportation
- Inbuilt LED changing mood light
- Eco-friendly and energy efficient
- Can be plugged into the wall or a USB
- Loud operation
- Weight 3lbs
- Dimensions 8 x 8 x 10 inches
- Voltage 120v
If you’re looking for a better alternative to a regular desk fan for your office or bedroom, the Evapolar air cooler is the perfect solution. Thanks to its 3-in-1 technology it can cool, humidify and clean dust particles so the indoor environment is even healthier.
This unit is surprisingly user-friendly. All you need to do is full the water tank, plug it in and then enjoy. Even better, since this unit is very small it only uses the same amount of power as a lightbulb. You can stay comfortable without a huge jump in your energy bills.
The evaporative design of this innovative air cooler takes dry, hot air then moistens and cools it so you can feel more comfortable. It’s even made from biodegradable materials for extra eco-friendliness.
Although you can plug this model into a regular power outlet, you can also plug it into a USB port for convenient cooling at your desk. The potential temperature drop when you use this unit is as much as 15 degrees Celsius, with the added benefit of purified and humidified air to help you breathe more easily.
Since this device is very portable and only consumes 10 watts of electricity it’s the ideal choice for use while traveling. It is ten times smaller than a regular AC unit without any of the standard maintenance that goes with a more conventional system.
- Compact size for great portability
- Can be plugged into a USB or regular power outlet
- Eco-friendly design
- 3 in 1 technology to cool, humidify and purify the air
- Not suitable for use in humid environments
- Water tank is small
- Weight 2.87lbs
- Dimensions 6.7 x 6.7 x 6.9 inches
- Voltage 120v
BUYING GUIDE & FAQ'S
If you’re looking for a portable air conditioner Amazon has plenty to choose from, but how do you know which is the right one for you?
Here are some things to keep in mind to avoid disappointment when buying a personal air conditioner.
- Cost – depending on the size and type of portable AC unit you’re looking for, you could be looking at considerable variation in cost. The more powerful the unit is, the more you can expect to pay, but if you only need a small model to operate on your desk or bedside table. If you’re keen to choose a portable unit which can double as a dehumidifier, humidifier or purifier, you can expect to pay a little more, and this is even more likely to be the case if there are integrated additional features such as a programmable timer or remote control.While units from the best brands probably cost a little more, they come with better warranties and better customer service which gives you greater peace of mind in your purchase. Don’t forget to keep in mind the energy that your air conditioner will use. Some units aren’t as energy saving as others, and that means you’ll be paying more on your monthly bills. Replacement filters are another cost to add to into the mix. Make sure to add all these extras onto the cost to determine the best value for money for you.
- Size – depending on the size of the space you need your unit to treat, you’re going to need a different size air conditioner. While these units are described as “portable” that doesn’t necessarily mean the same thing in every case. Some portable units are heavy and large, and are considered portable because of their integrated wheels. Others are truly tiny and can fit onto the corner of your desk without taking up a lot of room.
- Room Size – make sure to do your research properly to make sure you choose a model that’s the right size for you and which is capable of operating effectively in the space you’ve chosen. Even small units are capable of cooling different sized rooms. Are you only looking for a unit that cools the immediate surrounding area or do you need to cool the whole room? Look for the manufacturer’s BTU rating to help you determine the power of the air conditioner you need. The bigger the BTUs, the bigger the space they can cool.
- Energy Use – depending on the way in which you use your AC unit, you’ll see a different amount of energy being used. Energy Star rated appliances are low energy models which will protect the environment while also saving you money on your energy bills. You should also look for a model which features a programmable thermostat and an automatic shut-off function.
- Ventilation – the majority of portable AC units vent hot air. That means you’ll have to keep it by the window so the hot air can escape without causing a condensation or mold problem. Some portable units come with their own window venting kit. While these aren’t especially attractive, they are very functional at keeping the moisture out of your home or office. Make sure to find out more about the ventilation system for your chosen unit as this will be a big part of determining how portable the unit really is. If you’re planning on putting your unit in a place distant from the room’s window, you’ll need to check how far the window vent kit can extend.
- Dual-Hose or Single Hose – there are two types of hose configuration for vented portable air conditioners – single and dual hose units. A single hose unit uses one hose to intake air and to exhaust it. Although it effectively cools the space it has to work much harder and therefore isn’t as efficient as dual-hose units. Dual hose units have one hose for intake and one for exhaust. This is more energy-efficient and also cools the space around 40% more quickly than a single hose model.
- Noise – all air conditioning units make a noise. No matter whether they’re ductless, portable or window units, you’ll always hear noises from your air conditioner. However, in many cases, this noise is minimal background noise which goes unnoticed. Nevertheless, there are some units which are louder than others. If you’re planning on using your AC unit in a bedroom, you should definitely look for a very quiet running model so it won’t disturb your sleep.
- Installation – usually, portable a/c units aren’t too hard to install, however if the model you choose has to be vented, that could be a little more complex. You should ensure that you’re choosing a unit which has clear instructions about how to set up the window kit. If you’re going to be choosing a window ventilated air conditioner, you might want to think about investing in a second vent kit to install in another room, so you can benefit from the portability of the unit.
- Ease of Use – a lot of the best portable a/c units are quite easy to use however you should do your research thoroughly to check out just how much effort you’re going to need to put into working out the controls. Check out whether the control system is intuitive and how easy it is to choose the right fan setting and temperature. Also, check out how much maintenance is likely to be required. Most devices need their filter to be replaced at regular intervals, however some also require internal cleaning which is more labor intensive.
- Aesthetics – it doesn’t really matter which room you’re going to be using your air conditioner in, you don’t want it to be an eyesore. This is especially the case if it’s one of the larger portable models. Function is extremely important, but aesthetics also have a role to play for most people. You don’t want your entire space to be dominated by an ugly unit in the corner. Portable a/c units come in lots of different shapes and styles. Some come in a choice of colors, and with a range of sleek, modern designs available, you’re sure to find something that works well in your space and suits your preferences and sense of style.
- Condensate Type – the type of condensate your air conditioner has will directly relate to how easy it is to use. A drip air conditioner deposits its condensate into its internal bucket which will then need to be emptied on a regular basis. In some cases, the bucket fills up very rapidly, and you’ll find that you need to dump out the water on a frequent basis. If you choose a partial drip a/c unit, you’ll find that the majority of condensate is released via the exhaust hose.However, some water may still be deposited in the drip pan. You will therefore need to check the pan regularly and then dump it out occasionally, however it’ll be able to go for longer intervals in between without needing to be emptied. There is a third option too. This is to select a non-drip air conditioner. This type of unit releases the condensate out into the environment so there’s never any need to empty a pan or bucket. It goes without saying that these models are very popular with homeowners thanks to their convenience and low maintenance.
- Features – there are a number of features which some air conditioning units boast that give you even more value for money and even greater functionality so you can customize your room temperature even more effectively and efficiently. Some of these include:
Programmable Thermostats – these allow the user to set a precise temperature for the air conditioner. Once the room is sufficiently cool, the unit will automatically turn off. This eliminates any requirement to turn the unit off and on manually, and also frequently allows pre-programming of the unit the begin cooling at a specified time.
Auto Drain Systems – these turn all the condensation liquid into exhaust therefore there’s no need to empty the pan or bucket yourself.
Remote Control – the remote control will give the user the power the control their air conditioning unit from anywhere in the room. This means you can operate it without getting out of bed or off the sofa.
Heating/Air Conditioning Combo – some air conditioners serve double duty as a heater and this means that there’s no need to buy a separate unit to heat your room during cold weather. You’ll get double the value for money from your purchase.
Dehumidifying Function – air conditioners which feature dehumidifiers are able to remove any moisture from the room’s air. This offers a number of health benefits and will also help to protect effectively against the development of mold and mildew which could cause structural damage to your home.
How much electricity does a personal air conditioner use?
Air conditioners work rather like a refrigerator, cooling down the space by passing the warm air over the cold evaporator coil before blowing out cooled air to the room. During this process, hot air is generated which requires venting from the space via an exhaust hose which is usually put through the window. While generating water and drying the air, portable air conditioners also often have a water tank which needs emptying on a regular basis.
If you think about your air conditioner as working in the same way as a fridge, you can see how you can save electricity when running your unit. You wouldn’t leave your fridge door wide open as this would make the appliance work much harder and use a lot more electricity. This also applies to cooling a room with a portable air conditioning unit. Keep the space sealed by shutting windows and doors. This will allow you to get more efficient running from the a/c unit.
If you also close the curtains and blinds, the amount of heat generated inside the room from sunshine coming through the doors and windows will also be reduced. When rooms are well insulated, they’ll stay cool during the summer and warmer during the winter.
You can also choose a unit which comes with its own controllable thermostat and timer. This will allow you to select the optimal temperature to ensure coolness without energy wastage. Your unit won’t be running when you don’t need it, and you’ll only cool your space to the required temperature. Air conditioners are all rated for energy efficiency. That means if you choose one which has a better energy rating, your electricity consumption will be reduced and your energy bills will be lower.
In short, there’s no single cost for running an air conditioning unit at home or in the workplace. The amount you can expect to pay for your electricity bill will vary depending on the size of the unit you’re operating, its power and its energy rating. However, if you make a sensible choice when selecting the right unit for you, you can minimize your energy consumption and therefore your electricity bill.
Is personal air conditioner bad for health?
Some people worry that air conditioners are bad for their health and well-being, however in fact there are many ways in which a personal a/c unit could be very good for you. This is particularly the case if you live in a polluted city, by a main road or have smokers in the home. An air conditioner will reduce the number of pollution particles from outdoors entering your home and therefore lowers the chance of air pollution causing problems to your health.
The best air conditioners purify the air, trapping contaminants like pollen, dust and pet dander so that you can breathe more easily and won’t suffer from allergy symptoms such as wheezing, sneezing and streaming eyes. Air conditioners which dehumidify the air will also reduce the chance of mold and mildew spores taking hold and causing health problems.
However, there’s something to bear in mind. If you don’t maintain the unit properly, you could experience health issues as a result. Let’s take a look at some of the potential problems which could arise.
- Mould Growth – when you cool down hot air in an air conditioner unit, moisture is created. A central air conditioner will expel the excess moisture via its exhaust vent. This means there’ll be no circulation of the moisture inside the building.However, a portable a/c unit doesn’t always vent through the window. Sometimes, they collect the excess moisture in a bucket or pan. When the pan isn’t emptied regularly or the system isn’t functioning efficiently, the moisture could attract mold growth. Mold inside your portable air conditioning unit is a hazard to health since the unit will make the mold spores circulate through the air where they will be breathed into your lungs causing health issues.
- Low Humidity – when an air conditioner pulls the moisture out of the air and cools it, the humidity in the room is reduced. During the summer heat, this is often a much welcome relief. However, if there is very low humidity in the room, health issues can arise. Nasal passages are irritated by dry air and this often results in sinus inflammation and congestion. A humidifier is therefore required to counteract the effect.
- Temperature Fluctuations – as humans, we’re usually very good at adapting our bodies to temperature changes. In most cases, we adapt perfectly well when moving from the hot air outside to the cooler air indoors. Our health doesn’t suffer any ill effects under normal circumstances. However, for some people who suffer from specific health problems such as diabetes, these temperature fluctuations may be harder to manage. In such cases, individuals may need to minimize the temperature difference between the outdoors and the indoors so they can adjust their body more easily to the change.
- Airborne Illness – when water is used to cool down the air, there is a risk to health if the water should become stagnant through neglect. This may result in harmful bacteria growing and thriving and this could cause airborne illnesses to spread. While this isn’t a problem in the home environment, it could be a problem if you are using an air conditioner in an office or workplace.
What types of personal air conditioners are available?
There are lots of different types of personal air conditioner on the market. Some take the term “portable” to a whole new level, requiring wheels to move them between spaces due to their weight and bulky size. However, others are very small and lightweight, meaning that they truly are portable. They can be carried in carry-on luggage when going on vacation and can be easily moved from the office desk to the bedside table without any problems.
There are also three different draining options for portable air conditioners. Some are self-evaporating, releasing the water which is produced during the cooling process dispersing into the surrounding air with no need for any drainage. If the room is very humid, there may be a need to manually empty the collection pan or bucket, however the compressor shuts off automatically and the indicator light lets you know when the time has come to empty the pan.
Other models have condensate pumps, which pump excess water out of the pan via a hose through the window. Although extra installation is necessary, this will ensure that moisture is expelled from the building and mold won’t build up. The third type of air conditioner is a manual model which requires the user to empty the tank or pan manually on a regular basis – often as frequently as every two hours if the room has a very humid atmosphere.
Keeping Your Cool With A Personal Air Conditioner
When you look on Amazon portable air conditioner models are a dime a dozen, however not all are created equal. We’ve recommended the best seven personal air conditioners on the market today to suit your needs. Whether your bedroom, living room or office needs a little extra cooling, the personal air conditioner models that we’ve recommended here are ideal for your requirements and will help you keep your cool and breathe more easily.